The Microsoft Patterns & Practices group developed the Enterprise Library, made up of a set of related Application Blocks. Application Blocks are reusable source-code components that implement recognized software patterns, and use implementation best practices developed by solving real-world development problems.
Application blocks can be used as-is, or customized for your own needs. Enterprise library packages a set of the most-used blocks for easy installation, and it comes with a configuration tool to make setup and management a breeze.
Enterprise Library v2 contains the following Application Blocks:
- Caching - incorporate a local data cache.
- Cryptography - handles hashing and symmetric encryption.
- Data Access - data layer abstraction.
- Exception Management - handles exceptions in a consistent and configurable manner.
- Logging - provides standard, configurable app logging capability.
- Security - incorporate authorization and security caching.